Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Dave's Wrap Up

Dave's FB post about the big E



After being in Nepal for over a month I've discovered a few things. 
For years, you can plan, ponder, prepare every last detail, and stand where no other mountain is higher and still not reach your goal. After 7 hours of climbing in the wind our guides made a choice to turn us around at the South Summit. Disappointment and discouragement were higher than we were. But we were also reminded just a few feet off our route why this is the world's highest graveyard and why there's wisdom in listening to those who have been where you have not.

Refusing to be done with the climb, I discovered mother nature controls summiting big mountains and not once but twice was crushed by attempts that would not happen.

I witnessed strength and determination in my climbing buddies Thomas Wilkinson Larry Daugherty Brandon Fisher who could have summited a peak twice as high as Everest.

The majesty of the Himalaya has changed my DNA.

I've made eternal friendships from the trek to base camp and with mountain guides that could have formed in no other way. My wife continues to elevate her rock star status. I've realized once again across all 7 continents and all the experiences this wonderful world affords, what really matters is what's back home.

2 comments:

  1. You inspire us all. It is a big win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is an accomplishment never-the-less, Dave and team! it hurts when you are a notch away and have to turn around.

    ReplyDelete